Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 19: Letter to Someone That Pesters Your Mind—Good or Bad

Dear Mrs. Beard,

I think about you a lot. You changed my life more than anyone else in the world, let alone any teachers. I could not have asked for a better English teacher my sophomore year. The only person who competes with you for my favorite is Mr. Bogard, but you two are in such different categories you are incomparable. You made me laugh every day. You made fun of Cesar and me until we nearly wet our pants, which sticks with me even to this day. I love hanging out with you because you really did become one of my best friends for a long time.

Thank you for letting me hang out in your classroom all those days. I was in a bad place when Megan decided not to be my friend anymore and you gave me a place to go when I had none. You encouraged me when I was down, debated me whenever, and let me find answers to my own questions in my own time. You have played a huge role in guiding me to the place in which I sit today.

Thank you for teaching me so well. When I don't know what a word means, 9.5 times out of 10 I can figure it out by considering the Latin and Greek roots you taught us. They were a pain while we did them, but now they come in really handy. Thank you for making us take a critical look at literature. You trained my eye to the things I would not otherwise have seen. Not only did you prepare me for Mr. Bogard's class, you prepared me for what I hope will be my career. I want to be as good a teacher as you and I want my kids to look up to me as much as I look up to you. You inspire me to greatness.

I think about you a lot, especially when I write or consider my future. I know I'm not as good a writer as I should be, but I am much better than I would be if not for you. You kicked my butt and were a harsh critic, but I know that's only because I was/am lazy and you knew/know it. I miss seeing you and I'm sad you left the high school. I wish everything had been easier at the other one, but sometimes that's just not the way things work out. I am sorry for that. I wish I could see you more often. It's just that some of the people you hang out with make me uncomfortable. Maybe you, Cesar and I could go do something one day. I think that would be fun.

I really look up to you. I want you to know that.

Jenelle

1 comment:

  1. She sounds like a great teacher! Some of my best teachers were a little odd. That didn't always work out in the small town where I lived. ;-)

    ReplyDelete