Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 1: Letter To Your Best Friend

Amanda,
Remember when I hated you, but now you're my best friend? Me too. We were so catty. I remember that Seven Brides rehearsal where I was trying to do something and you kept trying to change it and I almost hit you. Sorry for that. I didn't know you were so neat back then. I just thought you wanted to encroach on my turf and take all my friends and stuff.


I don't remember when I started to like you, but the first time I noticed was when you came to my house after that fight with my mom. You hugged me and pulled me by my hand into my room. You told me "Hey, it's ok to cry. It's always ok to cry" and then you held me as I cried, just like I have always thought a friend should do. No one friend has ever done that for me. That was my turning point with you.


I hope you know you are beautiful. You are good at everything and you are one of the brightest people I know, intellectually and personality-wise. You are usually encouraging, even when people are so down on themselves it's pitiful, like my mental inability to dance. You always teach me baby dance moves that don't make me cry. You take me shopping and make me feel pretty even if I feel like the fattest person on earth. You have a talent for making people happy.


I am sorry you are sometimes unhappy, though. A lot of people don't treat you like you should be treated. I always try to, but I'm sure I fail as well. You are a very emotional person and a small thing can set of a big reaction from you. I never mind, though, because I am the same way. I do like that we can cry with each other and not be awkward. I don't feel nervous when I have to cry in front of you. It just happens and even if you stare at me because I'm telling a story as I cry, I still feel like it's just another conversation.


You have helped me through some of the toughest times in my life and I owe you a lot. You, Bryan and Jill are the main reason I am a happy camper today. I remember just coming to school, my favorite place, and as soon as I got there you'd take one look at me and lead me over where no one could see me so I could cry my eyes out about the thing that was hurting me. You never looked annoyed, you never said "Oh, sorry, I'm having a bad day today and I don't want to help you". You looked at me, took my hand, and walked. Then you held me and told me it was ok to cry and it was ok to be sad sometimes. I never felt like it was until you said that.


I am glad we still talk. I'm glad we didn't phase out when I graduated, but I'm scared to death that you'll leave and we won't talk ever again. Just the thought of that is making me cry right now. I don't want you to leave. You're my best friend in the entire world and I need you here with me, as selfish as that is. If you leave, I'll be ok and I'll be happy for you if you're where you need to be, but I'll still miss you. I miss you right now and it's only been like 1 day since I saw you.


Part of me is a little sad I'm not writing this to Megan, but it's a tiny part because you were there when she abandoned me and you have been there when she hasn't been. You are a faithful friend, a true friend, a friend who goes the distance. When I say I love you, I really, really do. I honestly hope we stay friends forever. I will work to make sure it happens.


Stick around to be my bridesmaid. :) You'll look pretty in the dress, I promise.


Love,
Jenelle

No comments:

Post a Comment